Sunday, February 21, 2016

Poetry Night at the Scott's Club!

Poetry Night 2016!

On the evening of  February 18th, my students read original poems at the Scott's Club!  Students have been writing poems over the course of the year.  They each chose their two favorite poems to share.  Together we further edited the poems and printed them into our program booklet.  Students autographed their poems after the readings.  We had a wonderful showing and a really nice time.  Thank you to everyone who joined us!   The following poems are a couple examples . . .

Mom
by Johvanie

You are the sparkling plate drying on the rack.
You are the Einstein thinking of the answers.
You are the teacher looking to help.
You are the beautiful stars shining in the dark sky at night.
You are the ruby-throated hummingbird.
But you are not the hopping grasshopper 
and you are not the rat getting into trouble.
I am the sun making the beach warm and
I am the numbers on the page.
But don't worry, you are still the shining stars in the night sky.

I Am Mourning Dove
by Anijah

I like eating the seeds outside Mrs. Linstrom's window.
I see a big green lizard in her room.
I love going to her bird feeder.
I see the kids looking at me when they line up for a run.
I see the kids everyday.
I wonder what they are thinking.
I am in the bird book they have in their desks.
I wish I could learn long division too.
I am Mourning Dove.

Of course there are many more great poems where those came from!  I am surrounded by poets!  Thank goodness!  Our next writing objective is to convince our state representatives to make the monarch the official state insect.  We will study some of the latest findings on monarchs and work on our persuasion techniques prior to writing our letters in the next few days.  Students may also be armed with clipboard and petition forms at local events . . . please sign your name and help us with this worthy cause!     


No comments:

Post a Comment