Saturday, April 20, 2013

Earth Day

 A Letter written to Mother Earth
 

Last week, I read one of my favorite picture books, Dear Children of the Earth, to the students in my class.  It is a beautiful story written as a letter from the Earth to those of us who have the privilege of being inhabitants on this amazing planet.  After we read the story, students took the time to write letters back to "Mother Earth."  The writing above is one such letter.  This Monday, April 22nd, is the official Earth Day.  My students and I will be celebrating the day by making recycled paper and taking time to clean up our school grounds.  Last week we planted annual flower seeds under lights, in the hope of planting them as the spring unfolds.  Happy Earth Day!  Take some time to celebrate this amazing little home of ours in the universe on Monday and everyday you have a chance!     

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all you are doing with your students to create an appreciation of Mother Earth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan! There's a wonderful part in that story where Earth writes, "I need your help . . . "But Mother Earth," you ask, "How can I help you and all my sister and brother animals when you are so big, and I am so small?" Well, my children, let me tell you something, I am not so big. As a matter of fact, I am quite small. When you go outside at night and look up at all the millions and millions of stars, you will see how small I really am. Compared to the night sky, I am no bigger than you! But because I look so big, people think I don't know what they do to me. They think I can't feel what they do to me. But I do know. And I do feel. . . " Sometimes it's hard to remember or believe that what we do makes a difference, but we all make a difference. Thanks for your support, it makes a difference!

      Delete